Happy Halloween! Time for candy, decorations, and cute little painted faces. What could possibly be wrong with painting your little one’s face?
According to a 2009 report titled "Pretty Scary: Could Halloween Face Paint Cause Lifelong Health Problems?" by the U.S.-based Campaign for Safer Cosmetics, many kids' face paint products labeled as “non-toxic” actually contained toxic products. Ten out of ten face-paint products tested contained lead. Six out of ten contained metals such as nickel, cobalt and/or chromium at higher-than-recommended levels, which commonly cause allergic contact dermatitis. Lead poisoning, we all know, is harmful for brain and nervous system development.
Face paint may cause other skin problems, as well. For children prone to acne, thick makeup may exacerbate or trigger breakouts and clog pores. Other ingredients in the makeup may irritate the skin or cause allergic reactions.
So what’s a health conscious parent to do? Check ingredients of face paint carefully. If you’re unsure, skip it. Many websites have homemade makeup recipes using natural ingredients.
Have a safe and fun Halloween filled with treats!